Five facts about ‘Tethered’ by Pippa JayPosted: August 18, 2014
Five facts about Tethered
1. Although the story takes place in my Travellers Universe (the main setting for my scifi books so far), the characters in Tethered are completely unrelated to my time-travellers from Keir and Gethyon. But there is a reference to Quin and her companions in the book (spot it if you can!).
2. The major-domo Pevanne is named after a dressage horse I rode in my teens, because of the very precise way he moved, which always made me feel as if he was carefully considering whether to put each hoof down in the mud or not. In my mind, the major-domo was equally precise and a little fussy about his moves. It’s funny the things that come out when you write.
3. Neither Zander nor Tyree were as tall in the original version as they were in the final. But I’d written a lot of short characters (being short myself, so easier to judge how it feels to be small), and I felt Tyree would be quite Amazonian in appearance rather than petite. As for Zander…making him taller than Tyree was just another part of the aggravation for her. And it was all about the irritation factor with them.
4. Tyree’s people are called the Inc-Su – taken from ‘succubus’ for the female and ‘incubus’ for the male. And since they have no gender bias (men and women really are equal in status, aside from Great Mother M’roc who leads the council) the only reason the male version comes before the female version is because Inc-Su sounds better than Su-Inc.
5. The title Tethered actually comes from a song by Elliott Minor that I was listening to at the time, although nothing else in the song relates to the story in any way. I just liked the word.
She can kill with a kiss. But can assassin Tyree also heal one man’s grief, and bring peace to a galaxy threatened by war?
For Tyree of the Su, being an assassin isn’t simply something she was trained for. It’s the sole reason for her existence. A genetically enhanced clone—one of many in Refuge—she’s about to learn her secluded lifestyle, and that of all her kind, is under threat by a race capable of neutralizing their special talents to leave them defenseless.
For Zander D’joren, being a diplomat has not only cost him his appearance, but also the love of his life. Scarred, grieving, he must nonetheless continue in his role as co-delegate to the fearsome Tier-vane or risk a conflict that could only end one way.
Now both of them need to keep each other alive and maintain a perilous deception long enough to renegotiate the treaty with the Tier-vane, or throw their people into a war that could wipe out Terrans and Inc-Su alike. But there’s more at stake than humanity, whether true or modified. Can the love growing between them save them both? Or merely hasten their destruction?
A science fiction romance novella. Add it to your Goodreads shelf HERE.
Enter to win a DNA necklace and a $5 Breathless Press voucher HERE! Open internationally.
After spending twelve years working as an Analytical Chemist in a Metals and Minerals laboratory, Pippa Jay is now a stay-at-home mum who writes scifi and the supernatural. Somewhere along the way a touch of romance crept into her work and refused to leave. In between torturing her plethora of characters, she spends the odd free moment playing guitar very badly, punishing herself with freestyle street dance, and studying the Dark Side of the Force. Although happily settled in the historical town of Colchester in the UK with her husband of 21 years and three little monsters, she continues to roam the rest of the Universe in her head.
Pippa Jay is a dedicated member of the Science Fiction Romance Brigade, blogging at Spacefreighters Lounge, Adventures in Scifi, and Romancing the Genres. Her works include a YA science fiction novel—Gethyon—published through BURST (Champagne Books), two self-published short stories (Terms & Conditions Apply and The Bones of the Sea), and she’s one of eight authors included in a science fiction romance anthology—Tales from the SFR Brigade. She’s also a double SFR Galaxy Award winner, been a finalist in the Heart of Denver RWA Aspen Gold Contest (3rd place), and the GCC RWA Silken Sands Star Awards (2nd place).
Sign up to Pippa’s no-spam newsletter HERE to get early sneak peeks at covers, and news of the latest releases, giveaways and contest.